A perfect Sonoma day might go like this:
- Breakfast early, get in the car, and head for the Sonoma coast. follow CA 116 to the coast at Jenner, and stop at Goat Rock State Beach. Walk along the beach, and do some beach coaming. If you are loving the beach, head a bit south to Schoolhouse beach, or one of the pull-offs. Walk thru the wildflowers down to the usually deserted beaches there.
- Back in the car - head to Osmosis Day Spa for your (pre-booked) treatments - the massages are all great, the Cedar tub treatment is unique - only done here outside of Japan. Do spend 20 minutes or so chilling in the Hammocks. Plus, stroll the Japanese garden - its a small treasure. See if you can identify some of the Ten Bulls of Zen lore.
- Then lunch at the Wild Flour Bakery up the street - the Meyer Lemon Scones are prized by the locals, and sell out fast. Buy some to take with.
-Then an afternoon of Champagne at the Korbel winery in nearby Guerneville. You can’t go wrong here - 12 kinds of champagne by the glass, The patio near the lunch counter in the back is where you want to hang. The tasting rooms are OK, but you just get a taste. Better to get some bread, cheese, chocolate, and several glasses of champagne. I like the Blanc et Noir - its pink from the skins and not too dry. Do get a bottle of the XXX reserve Brandy to gift to your best customer. In fact get two, one for yourself - only made and sold there. Not cheap, but like nothing else. You can get a small sampler - try it, and see.
- If you can still walk, walk around nearby Guerneville, and check out the shops and crafts.
- Then head for the Lagunitas (say la gu Ni ta) brewery in 1280 N McDowell Blvd, Petaluma, CA 94954. One of my favorite stops. Big open space filled with picnic tables, usually a live band, a real CA scene, everyone with dogs and friends. Lots of great beer - some think the IPA is best in the country. I like the Sumpin Sumpin. Drink beer. Hang out - you are in Cali! Food is good pub fare.
- If you haven’t yet eaten enough - head up the street to Caffe Giostra - the locals sent me here - You will probably need reservations even on a week nite. This small Italian strip mall restaurant makes some of the best italian food this side of Philly. All the pastas are housemade, and amazing - try the seafood ravioli if its on the menu.
Hmm - clearly you can’t do all of that in a day. But a selection of the above will make for an amazing day.
All are within a 10 mile radius of Osmosis, so makes a good day trip from where ever you are staying.
Other things to google for a San Francisco visit:
- Mout Tam - Mountain Home Inn for Brunch
- China Beach st park for mountain biking
- Fort Ross- rebuilt Russian training fort in Sonoma
- Downtown Sonoma
- San Francisco Asian Art Museum - asianart.org
- Shakespeare at a Winery - a great evening
- Larkspur ferry to SF - check out the ferry building farmers market
- Point Reyes Seashore and lighthouse
- Cowgirl Creamery
- View from above the Golden Gate
- Bike rental, pedal across the golden gate to Sausalito, take the ferry back
Hope you have a great visit to Boomi World!